Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
Our physical and occupational therapists offer the specialized one-on-one care required to treat spinal cord injury and diseases related to the spinal cord (Transverse Myelitis, Guillian-Barre, Cervical Myelopathy, Multiple sclerosis, spinal tumors). Our highly qualified experts in spinal cord injury use evidenced based treatments and advanced technology to meet the individualized needs of each patient. Our experienced interdisciplinary team serves all levels of spinal cord injury over the continuum of their recovery process including the following treatments: total body strengthening, balance, brace walking, wheelchair skills and evaluations, prescription of specialized adaptive equipment, community engagement, family/caregiver training and expert advice on home modification and durable medical equipment or assistive technology needs in the home.
Our therapists have a variety of tools to help you reach your goals.
- RTI 300 equipment — Allows arm or leg cycling with electrical stimulation (stimulates paralyzed or weak muscles to cycle).
- Motomed — Provides active and assisted arm and leg cycling.
- Standing frames
- Bioness Go! — Electrical stimulation raises up foot to assist with walking.
- Bioness H200—Electrical Stimulation integrated hand orthosis for enhanced hand function
- Body weight-supported gait training with Lite Gait Harness — Gives secure support with a harness while walking.
- Pressure mapping — Computerized system that shows any high pressure areas while sitting.
- Spine Gym and Rickshaw – Wheelchair accessible weight equipment.
- Neuromuscular Electrical Simulation (NMES)—Electrical stimulation to stimulate paralyzed muscles
- NeoFect SmartGlove — Virtual Reality Based activity to enhance/train hand/wrist function
We are also very proud to offer the following additional services:
- Wheelchair Seating and Positioning—Addresses the complex seating needs of the SCI patient offering comprehensive evaluation and justification for manual ultralight and power wheelchairs
- Driving evaluation—Advice and referral to specialized Driving Instructors
- Vocational Rehabilitation collaboration—We work closely with Missouri and Illinois Vocational Rehabilitation Services.
- Case Management and Social work services
At your visit, you will have a one-on-one evaluation where we will assess your strength, range of motion, spasticity, functional mobility, and balance. We will also discuss your current activities/routine and any adaptive equipment or new bracing/splinting needs you may have. Your rehabilitation will be focused on your specific needs and personal goals. Our therapists will provide you and your caregiver with an individualized exercise or activity program to perform at home or in the community and recommend a specific frequency and duration of follow up visits needed for one on one therapy based on your specific situation and evaluation results.
Call us to schedule your appointment!